While visiting North Central Nebraska, a stop in Stuart on Hwy 20 is a must!
The White Horse Museum is filled with memorabilia of days gone by! Built as a private residence by John McGrew in 1914, this beautiful 3 story building has led a unique and varied existence. In 1927, the home was converted to a hospital, adding the east and west wings. Dr. Clark practiced medicine within these walls from 1937 to 1948. In 1954 the facility became Stuart's first home for the aged. Finally, in 1964 the first members of the museum board purchased the ground to house possessions received from the White Horse Ranch and memorabilia from Stuart locals and people from the surrounding communities. Geneology enthusiasts will enjoy our room dedicated to the past residents and their families.
NEW Flags are in!!! Order yours today!
Photographic Glass Negative Capture lift in early 1900's in Stuart Nebraska.
A collection of over 200 photographic glass negatives has been donated to the Stuart White Horse Museum. The photographs taken by Martin Chittick, son of Robert Chittick, founder and owner of the Chittick drug store from before to 1945 provide a pictorial history of Stuart in the 1910 era. Birthday parties, families, homes and business were captured for all time by Martin. The negatives have been developed and the pictures are on display at the museum. Reprints of the individual pictures can be ordered from the museum.
Open from Memorial Day weekend until Labor Day weekend, spend the day with us during our annual Heritage Day, enjoy perusing the past, researching geneology, walking the beautiful 4 acre grounds, with access to The Cowboy Trail, or viewing the many beautiful antique pieces donated generously to the museum.
Stuart White Horse Museum Quilt selected for Smithsonian Museum Exhibit.
A quilt from the museum quilt collection has been selected to be a one of 54 artifacts in the Smithsonian exhibit starting in October 2007. The quilt was identified as one of the best examples of a variation of Log Cabin quilt design. The quilt dates to 1892 as noted by the embroidered dates and names on each block by the individual block makers. After a three month exhibit at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., the exhibit will be on display for three month at each of three additional cities. After the completion the quilt will be returned to the Stuart White Horse Museum.
site launched May 24, 2002