White Horse Museum of Stuart,  Nebraska

Tour the Grounds

tour the main building welcome to our museum news and events gift shop visitor information partners

Cleveland Presbyterian Church
Cleveland ChurchCleveland Church
The Church was started in 1882 on a raised piece of ground that overlooked the Community of Cleveland, Nebraska. The Village of Cleveland at this time included several businesses and the people of the surrounding farms and ranches. The Church served its members until the year 2002 when it was decided to close the Church because there were too few members to ask a Pastor to hold services every Sunday.

At this time the Church leaders offered the Church to the Stuart White Horse Museum. Thanks to the generosity of many people, a new foundation was built and the Church moved to its present location at the museum. It has been covered with new white siding, and except for some remaining cosmetic improvements, ready to show itself as the Church of old.

This house was built in 1883 at the northeast corner of Stuart by Doctor Levi J. C. Reichard, a practicing dentist, who served the Village of Stuart until the mid 1940's. After his death the house was rented to several families, the longest rental by the Kramer Family.

The house was moved to the Stuart White Horse Museum, and is still awaiting restoration. The outside covering has been removed and will be painted. The inside is still in need of extensive repair which will probably be finished sometime during 2007. It is hoped that this house will again resemble its original beauty.

Reichard/Kramer House
Little Red Schoolhouse
School House

 

Double desks, a pot bellied stove, washstand with water pail, basin and dipper create an authentic setting here where a rural community of children attended many years ago. The building came to this ground from a site northeast of Newport.

On display inside and outside the exhibit building located on the east edge of the grounds are past means of travel and agricultural equipment designed to develop the community's resources. Among the collected items are well drilling creations, balers, buggies, sleighs, a brougham, haymaking machines and a windrow hay loader.

Exhibits
tractor driven log splitter
Wash House/Summer Kitchen
Cook House and Laundry

In years, past, many homes had small buildings adjacent, where the laundry tasks were performed. Either a well or a cistern for rain water was nearby. These buildings were also used for summer food preparation so the heat of cooking and baking would not enter the house.

Dependency upon the horse for work and travel made blacksmith's shops essential. Displayed here are numerous tools and devices used for shoeing horses and making and repairing equipment.

Blacksmith Shop
blacksmith shop
Pioneer Log Cabin
Log Cabin

Logs for this cabin were transported by oxen from the Long Pine Creek and built by John O'Connell in 1874. The authentic indoor furnishings came with this dwelling. Originally O'Connell and his sons built this cabin near the Elkhorn River southeast of Atkinson. It was the first log house in western Holt County.

horse drawn rake for haytractor belt driven hay baler